This is one of my most asked questions so I had to get it answered on the blog ASAP ! Most recently this question came from reader Farheen Guys ! Any product recommendations you have or any tips please let us know about it ! We have have our own ways of dealing with makeup mishaps !
"Thanks for tackling the long wear makeup question. your answer was so help I used the tips you gave and I swear my makeup stays on 4 times longer at least!
The only thing i have noticed is this: when I apply pencil eyeliner on the bottom lid or waterline as they call it, it bleeds in half an hour all under my eye. it takes with it my under eye concealer and everything. I look like a panda! please help"
1. How can I make my eyeliner stay on along the waterline all day ?
We cannot. It is the waterline and eventually our eyes will get what ever is on it out.
Unless - the eyeliner you use on your waterline is waterproof and sturdy. Even then do not expect for them to stay on for longer than four to five hours.
2. Whenever I apply eyeliner on the waterline, they bleed out and I end up looking like I have dark circles at the end of the day.
I have plenty of tips that I follow to avoid this :
- Start off with a concealer. If you already have dark circles around the eyes - do not go for a heavy eyeliner look. It makes things look worse.
Instead apply concealer and mask those dark circles. Now we have an even toned surface to start with.
- Use a waterproof eyeliner pencil or creme eyeliner pencil along the upper lash line. Smudge it out a little bit. Now apply a thin layer of powder eyeshadow in a similar shade over it and gently smudge.
- Setting with a powder eyeshadow is essential to keep the creme eyeliner in place. Just as we set liquid / cream foundations with translucent powder , we need to set our eyeliners with powder eyeshadow for longer wear.
You can also draw a line along your lash line with a pencil liner. Go over it with a creme liner and finally set with eyeshadow if you want it stay put for 8 - 10 hours.
The lower lash line & waterline - these are mostly responsible for the dark circles look.
- Line your waterline with a water proof pencil liner. Make it just one layer - do not go over it multiple times.
Now close your eyes so the eyeliner gets transferred to the waterline along upper lash line - easy breezy tight lining. Go over the waterline again with a waterproof pencil liner. Make it just one thin line. The more you cram into the waterline the more the goop that gathers along the corners of your eye.
- Line the lower lash line, using a waterproof creme / pencil liner.
- Set it with a thin layer of powder eyeshadow. Gently smudge.
Apply flake free mascara. Finally apply translucent powder under your eyes.
That's it !
Contrary to what one might believe applying a thick layer of eyeliner is not going to make it stay on longer.
Multiple thick layers in one go, along waterline is the worst because our eyes push the product out and we end up having a lot of messy liner issues. Instead apply a thin layer and reapply another thin layer when necessary.
Layering is key for long stay. A couple of thin layers set with powder stays on without smudging longer than one very heavy dose of eyeliner.
Keep Q tips handy.
Products That Work For Me
Estee Lauder Gel Eyeliner
Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner Pencils
Julie Hewett Too Good To Be True Eyeliner Pencils
One other product I've tried is the Becca Eyeliner Compact. It comes with a product called the Sealant. The sealant literally seals the eyeliner and prevents it from smudging. If you are going for the kohl rimmed heavy eyeliner look, I wouldn't recommend this product because it doesn't have that effect to it. Its more of a gentle everyday liner.
Guys ! Any product recommendations you have or any tips please let us know about it ! We have have our own ways of dealing with makeup mishaps !