| 2 comments ]

I read a small snippet on this in Glamour or The O magazine and I really wanted to share it with you. This information could change your face routine for the better, this summer.


Now, how many times have you preferred a foundation with SPF over one without it....almost always for me. But is this alone enough to protect you against sun's harmful rays?
Apparently NO.

In laboratories the chemists test out SPF to check for their ability to help protect our skin against sun damage. For this, they use about 2 milligrams of the product over every square centimeter of skin. This translated to everyday terms would be about half a teaspoon spread all over your face !!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, who uses so much foundation?? I am not sure if even people on broadway shows , use this much! But then unless you use this much of the product, you are not going to get the required effect. What should you do then? Stick to your sunscreen lotion/spray for any sun damage prevention. Do not trust any other product to deliver the same effect.

So, the moral of the story is : The SPF in your foundation alone is not enough to give you any sort of protection you are hoping for. It is best to apply a broad spectrum sunscreen lotion of at least SPF 30 all over your face, neck and chest; wait for 10 minutes and then apply your foundation. Do not rely on the SPF in your foundation.

2 comments

Phyllis Bourne said... @ May 21, 2008 at 5:32 AM

I use Bare Essentuals mineral foundation which has SPF 15, but still use Neutrogena Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 45 underneath it.

Now that I've read your post, I'm glad I don't rely on just the foundation.

An Indian's Makeup Blog said... @ May 22, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Hey Phyllis!
Nice seeing you here! I use Neutrogena too! Its great you do this...I wish I could say the same. I hate wearing sunscreen and have always depended on foundation with SPF:( Well, wont do that anymore!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin